Vanilla Custard Ice Cream Recipe Prep Time - 3 Days
- 3 cups and 6 tablespoons half and half cream
- 18 egg yolks
- 1 cup and 1 tablespoon sugar (A)
- 1 cup and 1 tablespoon sugar (B)
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3 Native Vanilla Beans
- ¾ cup salted butter
- 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract (for homemade extract – see our blog on how to make vanilla extract)
- Slowly bring half and half to boil
- Set aside to chill overnight in the refrigerator
- Cream egg yolks and sugar (A)
- Set aside
- In 2 quart saucepan, combine sugar (B) with heavy whipping cream and whole Native Vanilla Beans
- Bring contents of saucepan to a slow, gradual boil, stirring constantly to prevent burning. When rolling boil begins, promptly remove from heat.
- Remove Native Vanilla Beans, cut open, scrape grains and return grains to mixture. Do not discard beans/pod.
- Using a double broiler with water, add 1/3 of egg yolks/sugar (A) mixture to the heavy whipping cream mixture. Constant whipping and adding of egg yolks/sugar (A) in 1/3 parts.
- Whisk in Butter and remove completely combined mixture from heat
- Place the saucepan in ice water to immediately stop further cooking
- Stir combined mixture until cool then strain into a large metal mixing bowl (such as a kitchenaid mixer bowl)
- Place in refrigerator until cool
- Beat chilled half and half mixture from Day 1 with combined cooled mixture, adding vanilla extract
- Return cut Native Vanilla Beans to completed mixture, now custard and chill in refrigerator overnight
- Remove Native Vanilla Beans from chilled custard and follow instructions as per your ice cream maker