This cranberry vanilla bean cake will be the talk of the holiday party! Yeah, it’s that good. It is soft, flavorful, and has just a little bit of tart. Each bite will make you want to have more. Are you ready to make this cranberry cake?
Prep Time: 20-minutes Cook Time: 45-minutes
- 12 oz fresh cranberries, picked over
- 2 tablespoons of orange juice
- 2 teaspoons finely shredded orange zest
- ½ cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 6 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 Native Vanilla Bean, split
- 2 ¼ cups of cake flour
- 1 ¾ cups sugar
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 16-ounce cream cheese, softened
- ¾ cup butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon finely shredded lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 ½ cups confectioners’ sugar
- Sugared cranberries
FIRST, MAKE THE CRANBERRY FILLING
- Use a small saucepan to combine all ingredients for the filling.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. (or until cranberries pop)
- Remove the pan from heat and mash cranberries using a wooden spoon.
- Set aside and allow the filling to cool completely.
NOW IT’S TIME TO MAKE THE CAKE:
- In a bowl, combine the buttermilk and egg whites.
- Scrape the Native Vanilla Bean seeds from the inside of the bean and mix them into the buttermilk mixture. Allow it to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Prep two 9” cake pans. (grease and flour them and remove any excess flour) set aside.
- Now whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt together in a large bowl and set aside.
- In your stand mixer, cream butter for 30 seconds on medium-high.
- Add the flour mix gradually, while scraping sides as needed
- Add half of the buttermilk and mix
- Once it is mixed add the remaining buttermilk and beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. (scrape down sides as needed)
- Once completely mixed, divide batter evenly in both cake pans and bake for 25 – 30 minutes.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan.
- Then remove and let cool on rack completely
WHILE CAKE IS COOLING, ITS TIME TO MAKE THE YUMMY FROSTING!
- Put cream cheese and butter in the mixing bowl and beat on medium speed until it is fluffy and light.
- Add juice and lemon zest and continue to mix
- Now scrape the sides down and add the confectioners’ sugar a ½ cup at a time.
- If the mixture is too thick you can add a tablespoon of milk.
NOW FOR THE MOMENT WE HAVE ALL BEEN WAITING FOR, PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER
- Cut both cakes in half to make four layers
- Place one cake layer down in the center of the platter.
- Spoon 1/3 cup of cranberry sauce evenly over the top
- Place the next cake layer on top and spread ½ cup of lemon frosting evenly over it and top with a thin layer of cranberry sauce.
- Next top third cake layer and spoon 1/3 cup cranberry on top
- Finally, top with the last layer, cut side down. Place in the fridge for 10 minutes to set.
- NOW finish off with a layer of frosting and top with sugared cranberries.