What are the holidays without an eggnog recipe? This recipe is quick and easy – 8 ingredients and only 15 minutes to make.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Ingredients (makes 12 servings)
- 6 large egg yolks
- 5/8 cup granulated white sugar
- 4 cups of milk
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 2 Native Vanilla beans *(see instructions for cutting and scraping seeds below)
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 ½ cups of heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup of rum (if giving to children or those who don’t drink leave this out)
- Whisk the egg yolks and sugar for about 2-3 minutes until creamy and fluffy. Set aside.
- In a heavy saucepan, heat milk and cinnamon over medium-high heat until it boils. Stir continuously.
- Turn heat down to low. Add ¼ cup of hot milk to the egg yolks and whisk until combined.
- Pour egg yolks into the hot milk
- Cook for 5 minutes over low heat or until the mixture gets a thick consistency. Stir consistently and do NOT boil at any time.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla and nutmeg. Let cool to room temperature and stir occasionally.
- Mix heavy cream until soft peaks form. Add cream and rum to the cool eggnog and stir with a whisk to combine it all.
- Leave in the fridge to chill for at least 2-3 hours. (store leftovers in the fridge for up to a week)
Cutting Vanilla Beans: cut off the straight end of the vanilla bean. Then place the tip of your sharp knife below the curled end and cut the vanilla bean through the middle of the bean lengthwise. Although you don't need to cut it all the way through, it's ok when you do so. Then open the vanilla bean and scrape out the flavorful seeds with the back of your knife. Then just use the seeds.
Adding the nutmeg while it's still hot will make the eggnog drink to be more flavorful.
Don't overcook the eggnog mixture.
Be sure to like us on Facebook and share this recipe with friends or pin it on Pinterest.