Vanilla extract doesn’t have to be made with alcohol but finding a non-alcoholic version at the store can be difficult and costly. Fortunately, our recipe is really easy to make at home and it will save you money. Since it’s alcohol-free, this vanilla extract is okay for children and adults who are abstaining from alcohol.
- Native Vanilla Beans
- Food-grade vegetable glycerin (substitute for alcohol)
- You will also need a glass bottle to make and store the extract
It will take at least two months before ready to use, so it is important to plan ahead.
- Gather all ingredients (vanilla extract kit)
- Begin by mixing three parts glycerin and one-part water
- Pour it into the glass bottle
- Cut three vanilla beans open lengthwise for every cup of glycerin you use.
- Add beans to glycerin and make sure they are completely covered.
- Cap the bottle and store it in a cool, dark place.
- Shake once a week and it will be ready to use in two months.
The non-alcoholic extract may not be as dark as the alcohol-based vanilla and will have a similar consistency to syrup but will still have the same flavor as vanilla extract.
This extract is also diet-friendly. Glycerine-based extracts are sugar-free and gluten-free. Despite being referred to as a “sugar alcohol,” glycerine doesn’t contain sugar or alcohol. As long as you use vegetable glycerin, the extract is ideal for vegetarian and vegan diets.
Use and enjoy with your favorite recipe for the holidays!