Are you tired of eating the same pie at every event? The strawberry vanilla bean pie will be the talk of the party. It is filled with rich flavors and our favorite, Native Vanilla beans!
Prep Time 1 hr 15 mins Cook Time 1 hr 20 mins
2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
4 tablespoons shortening
2 sticks unsalted butter
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
½ cup of water
For the Filling
6-7 cups sliced strawberries
¾ cup of sugar
1 tablespoon flour
¼ cup tapioca flour
½ lemon, juiced
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
1 2-inch piece of Native Vanilla bean
For the Crust
- Pulse flour, shortening, butter, salt, and sugar in a food processor until pea-size crumbs form.
- Then add the water and vanilla extract to the mixture
- Next, pulse until the dough comes all together. You will still see flakes of butter.
- Remove the dough for the mixing bowl and wrap it in plastic.
- Let chill for a minimum of 30 minutes
- Mix all the ingredients under the filling and let it sit for 15 minutes
Now it’s time to prepare the pie…
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit
- Roll out half of the dough to about ¼ inch thick. Line a 10-inch pie dish
- Put some flour both on top and below the dough if it gets sticky.
- Now, roll out the rest of the dough and cut out some shapes like braids, be creative with it and put your own personal twist on it.
- Fill with strawberries; it’s okay to get rid of the extra liquid that is left in the bowl.
- Place the pie on a baking sheet and put it in the oven.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then reduce heat to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Bake for about another hour until the pie is brown and the filling bubbles.
Once it is done, let the pie cool for about 45 minutes before slicing it. Enjoy with vanilla ice cream and some whipped cream!